SOURCE: Center for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
NARA approved ICE’s request to begin destroying the records in December 2019, despite ongoing concerns and reports of widespread mistreatment of individuals detained in ICE custody.
SOURCE: Toward Freedom
by Margaret Power and Alexander Aviña
On January 5, 2020, the Business Meeting of the American Historical Association passed a resolution condemning affiliations between ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and higher education.
SOURCE: NY Times
by Matthew Connelly
The National Archives is letting millions of documents, including many related to immigrants’ rights, be destroyed or deleted.
by HNN Staff
Families are separated at the border and people are indefinitely detained in overcrowded facilties. How a panel at this year's AHA conference examined the history of immigration.
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
Historians approve an anti-ICE resolution but vote down anti-Israel proposals at their annual meeting. They also show support for nontenured colleagues.
SOURCE: Chicago Tribune
by Kate Masur
Almost 170 years later, the Fugitive Slave Act is viewed as one of the most repressive federal laws in all of American history.
by Elliott Young
Abolishing ICE is like a demand to abolish fugitive slave catching. It’s a good move, but it’s not the same as abolishing slavery.
by Julian Zelizer
While focusing on ICE is an extremely important debate, and dismantling the agency might the be the best policy decision, it carries enormous short-term political risks for the Democrats going into the midterm elections.
by David B. Gowler
The policy of separating children from their parents is horrific.
- Odds of a Contested November Election Are on the Rise
- Penguin Classics and Others Work to Diversify Offerings From the Canon
- Coping With Coronavirus Disappointments: Five Lessons From Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- The Case Against Waging ‘War’ on the Coronavirus
- Helen Hunt Brings Trailblazing War Journalist to Life in "World On Fire"
- And The Winners of the 2020 Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards Are ...
- AHA's Committee on LGBT History Announces Hardship Grants
- What Both the Left and the Right Get Wrong About the Coronavirus Economic Crisis
- As COVID-19 Spreads, Mary Barra Needs To Denounce Trump As Bad For Capitalism
- Pandemics and the Shape of Human History