Julie Hirschfeld Davis & Michael D. Shear: Inside Trump’s Assault on ImmigrationHistorians in the News
tags: immigration, digital history, Trump, podcasts
Between the alligator moat revelation and horrendous, inhumane taking of children from their parents, when considering Donald Trump’s immigration policy, it can be hard to get past the headlines.
But it turns out, the immigration story — the historical American experience and the current realities — serves as an incredibly useful way to consider the entire Trump presidency: Obsession, chaos, fear, depravity, and yet – meaningful, important, and potentially-lasting change that has shifted not only how the world views America, but how we view ourselves.
This history has been told – through a combination of clear context, incredible detail, and expert storytelling by Julie Hirschfeld Davis and Michael D. Shear in their book, “Border Wars: Inside Trump’s Assault on Immigration.”
As you’ll hear in our conversation, Davis and Shear bring us inside the rooms – uncomfortable places, really – as extreme ideas about immigration move directly from the collective minds of Steve Bannon, Stephen Miller and Jeff Sessions into the campaign and then presidency of Donald Trump. You’ll hear how Miller outmaneuvered generals and cabinet secretaries to seize control You also hear about the key player who might be most confounding of all: Former Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen.
In fact as you hear more about these policymakers – and as you read Hirshfeld Davis and Shear’s book – it all seems to lead to the central questions of our time: Who are we, and what is America?
comments powered by Disqus
- Live through incredible Berlin Wall escape stories with YouTube's VR history project
- How Codebreakers Helped Secure U.S. Victory in the Battle of Midway
- The Equal Rights Amendment May Pass Now. It’s Only Been 96 Years.
- Teenage Rescuer, Now 92, Meets Family She Saved From Nazis
- Mormons in Mexico: A brief history of polygamy, cartel violence and faith
- Chris Riback is Reading the Impeachment Inquiry Opening Statements Aloud on His Podcast
- Julie Hirschfeld Davis & Michael D. Shear: Inside Trump’s Assault on Immigration
- 14 Ships' Figureheads Weighing Over 20 Tons Arrive at UK's Newest Museum, The Box
- Historian Hope Harrison Interviewed for article on German Reunification in The Atlantic
- “If you liked this interview, you’ll love this book”: A Review of Sarah Milov’s The Cigarette: A Political History (2019)